Celebrated annually in May, National Volunteer Week (NVW) is the largest celebration of volunteers and volunteerism in Australia. The week provides an opportunity to highlight the role of volunteers in our communities. NVW provides the platform to pay tribute to the more than 6 million Australians who volunteer their time and expertise.
National Volunteer Week 2019
VSW partnered with the Dolphin Discovery Centre to host the 2019 celebrations for National Volunteer Week, holding the morning tea in their fabulous new venue overlooking beautiful Koombana Bay. A grant from Volunteering WA / Lotterywest assisted us in spoiling our region’s volunteers.
This event was more vibrant and energetic than it has ever been with about 85 volunteers, representing a large and diverse range of over 35 organisations across the Bunbury Geographe region, in attendance.
The celebration included the SW Volunteer of the Year and SW Youth Volunteer of the Year awards ceremony, with 4 young volunteers being nominated and 10 adults. The panel of judges found it a challenge this year with the high calibre of nominations.
The deserving volunteers were nominated by their volunteer managers and recognised with certificates, with one taking away the South West Volunteer of the Year award and one winning the Youth Volunteer of the Year award.
Our guest speaker was Mon Barrero who won the SW Volunteer of the Year award in 2018, and her story of coming from Spain and how volunteering changed her life by giving her a community and a family touched the audience.
Award Winners for 2019
SW Youth Volunteer of the Year – Cody Birch (nominated by Harvey Community Radio and Dolphin Discovery Centre)
– presented by VSW Deputy Chairperson Laurette Le Cras
SW Volunteer of the Year – Maureen Eaton (nominated by Bunbury Musical Comedy Group)
– presented by 2018 award winner Mon Barrero
Nominees who received Certificates of Appreciation were:
Youth Award Nominees:
- Arnya Arnold (City of Bunbury)
- Alyssa Skippings (Bethanie Elanora)
- Louise Bradford (Bel Canto Singers)
SW Volunteer of the Year Nominees:
- John Arena (Dolphin Discovery Centre)
- Lynn Exelby (Brunswick Junction CRC)
- Ron Exelby (Brunswick Junction CRC)
- Lyn Frings (Bunbury Regional Entertainment Centre)
- Tim Sabel (City of Bunbury)
- Michelle Gorham (South West Community Legal Centre)
- Maree Jones (St Paul’s Anglican Church Op Shop in Harvey)
- David Byatt (South Bunbury Rotary Club)
- Janine Quicke (Harvey Community Radio)